Friday 15 January 2016

Interview with Grigor after semifinal in Sydney

Grigor Dimitrov had to win two matches in one day to get to the match for the trophy of the Apia International Sydney and earned his first final in 15 months after a 4-6 6-3 6-4 in injury time and with Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-2 7-6 (4) over Gilles Muller several hours later. Here's what you told Bulgarian news conference:

- Today won quarterfinal and semifinal ...
- Yeah, a while ago I was discussing with my headquarters, the last time I had to participate in a duel with such disruptions in one day. On Thursday there was a four day match my Mueller stopped twice. But it remains part of the game and we are required to react most professional of the vagaries of weather and stay calm. Today, my psyche was definitely put to the test and did very well.

- Which is more important in these situations - how will your body cope with unexpected changes of rhythm or how you respond mentally?
- Both of these factors, because you have to stop the match to zagreesh again, then stop again ... In the second break of the match against Muller left the court for eight minutes and then had to serve immediately on entry into the tiebreak. It was not a pleasant situation, but that's tennis. It comes down to a few key points, and if you can take them - the victory will be for you.

- The confidence you need to be quite high after today.
- Yes, the last working days were very good. Yesterday I felt that I was terribly tired, because I went out on the court so many times and it is against such insidious rival Dolgopolov. It exhausted me, but today I felt recharged, I did the usual warm-up and finished the fight. Then I stood up against Mueller and my feeling was that playing the next day because I had left the victory over Alex in the past.

- You stood up against Troicki and last week ...
- Yes, and I am trailing by a set and a break. I watched several of his matches here and I can say that he is able to play an incredible tennis. Chances are aligned and this will be one of those days in which both will have very happy to play in the final. Like your chances, because I play louder with every match, but at the same time try not to put extra strain on arises. Present on this level and is primary.

- How important is the Ranking?
- Even shoot far ahead in the rankings there are other things that are more important. Of course, that I have set high goals and want to improve the quality of their game to a level that will allow me to achieve them, but tennis is not a sprint but a marathon.

- Catch liability set against Dolgopolov, and at the beginning of the second set seemed to start playing much simpler. Did you mean it when you said recently that you find nature?
- Plan changes from tennis player who stands against me in this day and one of my strongest qualities is that I can make those adjustments very quickly. If you feel that something does not work in the opening minutes, simply change the strategy and not afraid of any opponent. I know that I can turn any match, but the important thing is to try not to put myself in this situation. It is not necessary to decide the outcome of the match in the last of games, because you never know how your opponent will react.

- Lose the last two games with Mueller, but today dominate the court. What changed?
- I did not want to lose (laughs)! In the opening minutes was doing very well on the return of serve, and I know he felt it. Punching him in the first game of the match, which was a strong message and made him feel very uncomfortable. Interruptions helped him find his serve and Gilles leaped stronger, but overall stayed steady on the court all the time and earn big points.

- It's been 15 months since the last time when the game finish.
- I want to be in the finals of each tournament. Last year I felt pretty missed chances and matches did not go the way you want, and a few times and wasted match points. If the details were just not on my side. I could do nothing but accept this development and work to change it. I am happy that I will play the final again, but my goals are even higher. I accept this event as any other and is preparing seriously for the match with Victor, but I want to enjoy the moment. If I can combine the two things, I will feel happier.