Tuesday 12 January 2016

Dimitrov : " Physical training is the most important component of the season''

After a great performance in Brisbane, Grigor Dimitrov already in Sydney and is preparing for the Apia International Sydney, which will start from the second round against Pablo Cuevas. №4 Dimitrov in the main draw and has all the prerequisites to make a strong series. Here's what you said in an interview for the Bulgarian local radio:

- Sydney welcomes you to a wonderful time and a lot of smiling people. Pretty good way to continue the season.
- Absolutely. The city is great and always positive charge. I drove strongly in Brizan, but definitely want to do a few more matches before heading to Melbourne for the Australian Open.

- What are your goals for the Australian Open and the season 2016?
- This is the first Grand Slam of the season and my preparation started in December 2015 and so I have not had so much time to rest. After the last tournament of the year took stock, so I can work on the things that I need and turned my focus to the Australian Open. Of course, that other tournaments are important, but the big goal for all at the beginning of the year was strong performance in Melbourne.

- Do you any time to rest during the season?
- I think that one has to give three or four days off depending on performance. When the games start to accumulate, the body senses it and must provide him time to recover. Then you rest for a few days, do your favorite things and then come back "in the zone" and keep working. It is structured season in men's tennis.

- You said that you started training in December, but this time the temperatures in your home country are quite low. How a Bulgarian prepares for Australian Open in December?
- I left Bulgaria when I was 12 years old and for a long time do not live there. I try to provide conditions for training, which are close to those in Melbourne. For example, Florida is a good place for training - is humid, temperatures are high and the wind is often a factor. Physical training is the most important component in the beginning of the season. During the first ten days of my preparation hardly gripe rocket cook in the room with plenty of exercise with weights and then comes time to set foot on the court.

- Let's imagine the following situation - a Grand Slam match before you and your continued five sets and you have to spend more than two hours in the locker room. How do you keep your concentration in such a moment?
- Sometimes we have to stop the game because of the heat or because of rain, so you never know at what point you will need to go out and show your best tennis. Play cards or just talk with people from my headquarters to try not to think about the tension around the game that would make me extra tired. Usually no problem to keep my concentration in such moments.

- Come from a sporting family. Your father is a tennis coach and your mother was involved with volleyball. With such parents as if it was destined that you will athlete.
- Yes, nervous even if you sit more than ten minutes in one place without moving much. I have to be constantly active and I caused the problems over the years with my coach on physical training, because when we had to rest, I do not rest. I just like to move, but also have to listen to my body and I'm a professional.