Saturday 17 January 2015

Dimitrov : "My game is complete"

Australian Open tenth seed Grigor Dimitrov says he's not surprised at the success he achieved last year and believes his game is now complete.

The high-profile Bulgarian, dubbed "Baby Fed" for his playing similarities to the great Swiss and a picture-perfect one-handed backhand, posted a 50-18 record in 2014 in winning three titles.

It was a breakthrough year for a man who, along with Milos Raonic and Kei Nishikori, is seen as one of the players most likely to end the dominance of Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal.

The 23-year-old, who has improved his year-end ranking seven years in a row, is oozing confidence going into the opening Grand Slam of the year next week at Melbourne Park.

"I'm not surprised that I had big results last year because two years ago I just started to win some titles," he said Saturday, having won tournaments at London, Bucharest and Acapulco.

"I had more experience than before. I was improving a lot I think in my game. I'm much stronger now than before.

"My game is complete now."

Dimitrov, who cites Pete Sampras as his idol, made the semi-finals at Wimbledon last year and the last eight at the Australian Open, but has yet to make a final.

He is relaxed about his chances at Melbourne Park this month, believing that any of the top 20 had a shot at winning.

"I can say now I feel no pressure," he said ahead of his opening round clash against German Dustin Brown.

"I just have to play my game during the matches and see how good I can be, how many results I can get, how many matches I can win."


Grigor will play on Monday , first match on court 2 , 11am