Tuesday 13 January 2015

Champion Grigor Dimitrov returns to Aegon Championships .

Video : https://amp.twimg.com/v/bd12c013-08c9-4874-ae2d-d9da8f5242bb


Defending champion Grigor Dimitrov will line-up alongside Andy Murray at the Aegon Championships between June 15-21 as two of the world’s best players confirm they are returning to The Queen’s Club.

Bulgarian star Dimitrov lifted the prestigious trophy last year when he edged a classic final with Feliciano Lopez 6-7, 7-6, 7-6.  

This year Murray, who will compete in the event for a tenth time, is aiming to join an illustrious list of four-time champions in the Open era after his previous successes on the grass courts in 2009, 2011 and 2013.

The world No.6 said: “I would love to win the tournament again. I’ve had some great moments on those grass courts. It's where I won my first professional match and my first title in Britain.

“When you see the names on the trophy, it shows how difficult it is to win. The year I won Wimbledon, it came a few weeks after winning at Queen’s, and it’s perfect preparation.”

Andy Murray holding the trophy in 2013 by Getty Images

Dimitrov, who went on to knock Murray out of Wimbledon in the quarter-final after his triumph last year, made his debut in 2009 and is looking forward to gracing the courts once again.

He said: “I have always had a special relationship with everyone at the Aegon Championships, right from when I was given two wild cards early on in my career, to last year when I lifted the trophy for the first time.

“It is one of my favourite tournaments and winning the title last year was one of the best moments of my career so far. I am really happy that I will be coming back to defend my title and I look forward to playing in front of the great British crowds again.”

Aegon Championships Tournament Director Stephen Farrow, said: “We are absolutely delighted to start the New Year with such fantastic news. Andy and Grigor are two of the best players in the world, our two most recent champions and they are hugely popular with our spectators."

The duo will compete in a 32-man draw, with no first round byes, so fans will be guaranteed to see some of the top eight seeds in action on the opening Monday.

David Macmillan, Chief Marketing Officer at Aegon said: “The Aegon Championships is one of the season’s leading grass court events and it’s great that two of the sport’s biggest names have already confirmed they’ll play at this year’s tournament.

"Grigor Dimitrov proved himself to be an exciting player and worthy champion last year and fans will no doubt look forward to seeing him and former champion Andy Murray in action again this summer.