Tuesday 27 October 2015

Interview with Grigor Dimitrov in Basel

Tuesday evening Grigor Dimitrov will come against Sergei Stahovski for their first match of this year's Swiss Indoors Basel. Before that, however, Bulgarians speak to local radio for a difficult 2015 season, his relationship with Maria Sharapova and comparisons with the six-time champion in the tournament - Roger Federer. This is what Grigor said:

- Wimbledon 2014 were close to the finish and the "big breakthrough". Now, 15 months later, are №28 worldwide. What went wrong?
- Going through a difficult season with ups and downs, which never managed to play an entire tournament at a high level. My achievements to some extent reflect the way I trained. I spent a lot of time looking for the right people on my staff because I want to build something stable to help me make a new start. I must be patient and prepare really well for next season.

- From very early age are referred to as the "star of the future." In 2013 and in. "Team" predicts that by 2018 will have №1 rankings. These expectations weigh you?
- Let's face it - with emeystovoto and friends stay with you in difficult times, while others simply leave when things are not going well ... So happens in tennis and in life. I try not to read the scriptures for me often. However, I see that lately there are a lot of criticism towards me, but many of them are not fair. I wish I could swap place with people who criticize me to see the whole truth. It is easy to criticize someone without knowing much about all aspects of the situation. It is hard to put yourself in the place of the human person attacked.

- To what extent reflects what is happening in your personal life on the level of your performance on the court?
- Of course, that my personal life influences. Tennis is a priority for me and I want to play as much as possible, but this season could not find the balance. I was hard to find myself and figure out what was happening with me on and off the court. I missed a lot of training and I was not feeling so well prepared conditionals. Somehow I neglected tennis because of certain factors, but this is a phase in which I try to pass.

- Impresses you play Federer and Djokovic now? They seem to prevent serious declines in performance.
- Of course, their achievements are amazing and so they are at the top of the rankings. At the moment I do not see the sense of the parallels between me and them. Of course, I'm flattered by comparisons with Roger, but there you need them? One has four ATP titles and the other has won 17 Grand Slam trophies. I can learn from them, while we are rivals on the court. I know if I have a really good day, I can beat every one of them. There are a few basic things that they have realized much earlier than me and have more experience, right? (laughing)

- Are you still confident that you can get to the top of the leaderboard and win the Grand Slam?
- Honestly, I was pretty close to a Grand Slam title. Now the road is really long, and it is not the right time to think about it. I am confident that I can achieve many successes. In 2014 I played incredible, but everything you get in my game, I was riding. Much easier to play well when everything gets in your game. The current situation is a test of my character. Great expectations and comparisons are unnecessary, because at the moment it's only for me to find myself. Open a new page and I want to write a story with its own handwriting.

- You do not have much time.
- I have time, but I have no time to lose. The important thing is I'm healthy and rested well to gather a lot of strength for next season.

- Recently, some young players like Nick Kyrgios and Borna Coric broke the men's tour. Does this fact off pressure from you?
- Good question, but I do not know if I can give you a precise answer. I know what you just go on the court and play released. This is the greatest feeling. We are in a very spectacular era of tennis, where a lot of these guys will go on the court and will make our lives much heavier.The next step, however, is to keep this level and it is far more difficult. I know only one thing - one day can №8 in the world, next to №28.