Thursday 7 August 2014

Dimitrov: “I shouldn’t be allowed to have dips like that, especially after having momentum on my side”



TENNIS ATP TORONTO – 6th of August 2014. G. Dimitrov d. D. Young 4-6 6-2, 6-3. An interview with Grigor Dimitrov
Q. What was the problem leading up to this tournament for you?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: It was just I got a little sick. So it happens.

Q. Can you assess today’s match against Donald Young? How did you feel it went?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Definitely not an easy match to start with. Donald has been playing well the past two weeks. I had my first match on hard court. So the only thing I could do is come on the court and basically try to play my game.
Unfortunately I was 4 1 up in the first set when I just disengaged a little bit and just changed my momentum which caused me the set obviously.
A dip like that shouldn’t be allowed, especially at the level that I want to be in, the level I want to compete. But after that, I felt like second and third set I really took command on the court, played a few good games and just grabbed it. There was not much else I could do.

Q. How concerned are you about those little dips in concentration when you’re not in the match? Is that the difference between you being at the level you’re at and then being No. 1?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: As I said, it’s just my first match on hard court for that summer, so I’ll just give myself a little bit of credit today for that. But again, I shouldn’t be allowed to have dips like that, especially after having momentum on my side, and I feel I have been playing good tennis throughout the year so far.
Again, you know, I need to attack that top in a very different way. As you mentioned, it’s probably not the best scenario to think that way if you want to get up to the top.

Q. A lot of the top players take a break after Wimbledon, as you have, as well. Do you think that helped you, having the break, or in hindsight maybe you were just better to go with the momentum you had at Wimbledon?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: Well, first of all, there were no tournaments right after Wimbledon. Of course there were a few, but different surfaces, and I think I have played enough matches to that point of the year.
So in a way I think it’s just good to disengage a little bit and kind of start fresh. I think it works different for everyone. I think it’s one of the first times that actually I have done that, so we will see how the result will be.
Actually, I’m not worried at all. I had a great time. I don’t regret any single day of it.

Q. When you get out there during the match, do you find yourself that you can focus point by point, or does sometimes your mind wanders, thinks of other things, yet you’re still in control?
GRIGOR DIMITROV: I think your mind wanders, anyway. That’s why it’s so tough, especially when you compete at a high level. Means you have to have that switch and basically switch on and off every time you want to stay focused.
So that’s I think one of the arts I think in any sport is to have that switch, to be in control of that. I think it’s an amazing tool. And I think today was one of those days that I needed to prove that to me, not only to me but also the opponent on the other side, that I was down the first set, even though I was 4 1 up, but again I switched it and it was a completely different outcome towards the end of the match.