Monday 1 September 2014

Grigor was promoted to 4 rounds of US Open 2014 Bulgarian defeated in four sets by Belgian David Goffin 0-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-1. This is the best result for Dimitrov in New York.





















"He played a great, great first set. Whatever I was trying to do was just not enough. He was taking every ball on the rise, penetrating through the court, coming in, volleys. His game was just too good in the first set. But I didn't let go of my belief, especially coming into that second set. I knew that my serve was not working the way I wanted it to, so I knew I was going to struggle a little bit. But I thought if I kept a good composure and if I just stayed there mentally, I knew physically I was able to go the whole five sets. I wasn't even thinking about that. But it was just mind over matter." - said Grigor Dimitrov 


Dimitrov became the first Bulgarian to reach the semi-finals of a Grand Slam at Wimbledon and the first to crack the Top 10 in the Emirates ATP Rankings a week later. The World No. 8, who won his 40th match of the season on Friday against Dudi Sela, improved to 20-16 in majors in his young career.

In the struggle for his first quarter in the US Open, Grigor will face Gael Monfils.

"Well, it's going to be a tough one. He's definitely the favourite. It's the first time we switched. He's the favourite, Top 10, solid. I think he's very talented. He can hit every shot. But I think he has great defence. It's going to be interesting for me to try to play my game, be aggressive and we'll see how it's going to be."  said Monfils on his impending encounter with Dimitrov.