Wednesday 25 January 2017

Grigor Dimitrov in Semifinal in Australian Open!

“It isn’t over yet,” was the message from Grigor Dimitrov after reaching his second Grand Slam semi-final at the Australian Open on Wednesday. His straight-sets victory over David Goffin was the latest win in what has been a gathering wave of momentum for the Bulgarian, who is unbeaten as yet in 2017.

Trusting in the hard work he has done and the team around him, including coach Dani Vallverdu, Dimitrov is ready to go all the way to his first major title at Melbourne Park.

“I feel like I have all the tools to go further, and my job isn't over yet,” said Dimitrov, who faces Rafael Nadal or Milos Raonic for a place in the final. “I'm looking forward to my match on Friday. I think I'm prepared. I think I'm ready to go the distance.

“I don't shy away from that. I'm confident enough to say that I feel good physically, and overall on the court. Just going forward with the confidence that I have built up also from the previous tournament. Now with each match I've been feeling better and better. It just all comes pretty natural right now,” added the Bulgarian, who opened his 2017 campaign with the title in Brisbane (d. Nishikori).

Speaking to ATPWorldTour.com in August last year, Dimitrov talked about the need for simplicity on and off the court. The right-hander was just a few weeks into his partnership with Vallverdu then, but the mentality is fast paying dividends, with Dimitrov now working a more structured schedule and confident in his shot choices.


“I think I'm taking better decisions when I come out on the court, better decisions in terms of points or how I'm going to play certain players or how I'm going to prepare, for example, before my matches,” said Dimitrov. “Little things that are important for me in order to come to the court.

“I think my focus has been good. The mentality has been there,” continued Dimitrov, who dropped to No. 40 in the Emirates ATP Rankings in July and admitted that he hadn’t been playing and practising well or doing the right things for his career. “I've been present when I'm playing my matches. I keep on fighting. I have a good spirit on the court, being positive.”

With the new regimen, Dimitrov has surged back up the Emirates ATP Rankings to No. 15 with the Top 10 firmly in his sights. After a strong finish to 2016, Dimitrov bunkered down early in Monte-Carlo for the off-season, getting to work while most of his rivals were either at the ATP Finals or on vacation.

Working with Vallverdu, his fitness trainer, Sebastien Durand, and physio, Azdine Bousnana, Dimitrov put in the hours in the gym and on the court to put himself in the best shape possible for his assault on 2017.

“I just keep doing the things that I was doing, what I was believing in. I have to give a lot of credit to my team, especially to my coach, to Daniel, to my fitness guy Sebastien, and then the other people that were there for me at the tough time. I don't want to forget my family. Those two components were really amazing.

“With the right set of people, things started to slowly move forward for me. Now I think I'm just in a good place.”



By ATP World Tour